Wednesday, March 30, 2011

iGoogle like interface using CodeIgniter and jQuery

iGoogle-like Interface

I was asked to develop an interface that would look like iGoogle webtop. And as always do I instantly started googling and this post is the result of what I got and what I lastly went for.
I googled and I got some solutions already there :
  1. Picok : Which I got hectic to configure and modify [as I was in hurry I din check it very well thought but I think it has some potential]
  2. jPolite : I loved this solution but thought might be little tricky to implement the back end.I strongly suggest if you have some time please look at this solution.
But finally I actually decided to go with a simpler solution starting from an interface developed utilizing jQuery and creating a Codeigniter back end for it.
How to create the UI, you will get the complete article from net.tuts+  . However, to get the Codeigniter version you can download it from the following location. I am telling you the implementation is not a rocket science so far, but I have a plan to extend it and may be will create a complete opensource project some day.
Till then wait or Download and start one by yourself :)
Please comment some other opensource reference if you got any. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Very thanks for your research. I have found Picok also, I like ti in the looks and way of working but the Zend Framework and YUI is not what I would like... something more simple but the same features would have been nice.

    I have looked @ jPolite which looks very nice, but indeed.. how to implement and is it like Picok which is just great in looks.

    Have you found more solutions like this ? They were hard to find indeed.

    Cheers,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I add a widgets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, adding widget into my code is not that much flexible - but if you Codeigniter then it should be very easy to implement a easy widget management system.
    For the other two solution - yeah they are good to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Good article.
    How I wish you already had the open source package (frontEnd+ backEnd) ready by now :)
    It will be a great help if you can write a step by step tutorial on designing iGoogle type of interface.
    There are many such tutorials already but, if you go through them you will notice that all of them assume the readers to have some advance knowledge.
    Ummmm....that way it becomes a lil "rocketty science" for a beginner like me.

    (From India)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can try oc.WidgetInterface at http://mywebdev.free.fr/JQUERY/index.php

    You can organize widgets on differents rows, each row can have any number of columns, and for a row, you can choose to have columns of differents widths !
    The sizes of the columns can be determinated in pixel, % and you can mixed the two !!!

    (obviously, you can use more simply the program, just to act like "inettuts")

    ReplyDelete